Adventure Awaits!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Honky Tonk Heartbreaks

Hiya Folks!

This little lady is headin' North! I am going to Nashville for the weekend, to see some friends, play some tunes, and honky tonk til I fall down. This is one of my old stomping grounds, so watch out Nashville, you better lock up your menfolk. Cannot wait for this little adventure I am taking. I have routed my trip out so I will be stopping to hang out with the Devil in Clarksdale, MS, and then meeting some friends in one of my favorite little hide-outs, Oxford. Finally, I will be resting in Nashville. These are my three favorite places in Nashville.

1. Belcourt Theater
http://www.belcourt.org/

This is my favorite movie theater. It's a historic cinema that hosts shows, new releases, and cult favorites. I promise on my red cowboy boots that you will never find another place quite like the Belcourt. My favorite time to go is when they do staff favorites (movies like Pulp Fiction, Shawn of the Dead, etc.) and they have a costume contest, a themed game during the half of the movie, and themed drinks.

2. The Patterson House
http://thepattersonnashville.com/

Like speak easys? Well, I sure do. This is your modern day speak easy. There is a dress code, no cell phones allowed, and only speciality cocktails. It also is back from the road, so you feel like you are hiding out and drinking, like the true Prohibition Era.

3. Robert's Western World/ Layla's Bluegrass Inn
http://robertswesternworld.com/
http://laylasbluegrassinn.com/

Okay, I cheated a little and combined two places. I normally avoid Broadway in Nashville like the plague, but these are the only two places on the strip that will make me brave the tourists, Yankee accents, and the sea of ten gallon hats on wanna-be cowboys. Luckily, they are right next to one another! Robert's is an old school honky tonk, the music is good, there's dancin, cheap drinks, you name it. You also cannot miss it! It's got a giant cowboy boot sign marking its whereabouts. Only thing is, Robert's gets way too crowded sometimes for me. But, don't worry, that's when a smart cookie like you should just walk over to Laylas. Usually a smaller crowd, and the house band makes me a happy hillbilly. They play old school country (George Jones, Dwight Yoakam, etc) to Chuck Berry covers and do it very, very well. Check both of these places out!

Well ya'll, I'm headin' to the bright lights of Nashville. I have already shined my boots and curled my hair. The dancin' dress is done packed. I am going honky tonkin' and won't come back. Well, I will, but after I break a few hearts first.

Here's a little song for ya'll, get everyone in that Nashville spirit, the "Cowboy Song" by the Red Stick Ramblers:


Later Gators.

No comments:

Post a Comment