Adventure Awaits!

Monday, September 27, 2010

Redfish Kisses.

Lord Help. Since my last post, I have had many adventures. I have uncovered more of the Red Stick, gone fishing, and traveled back to Kaintuck. Last Sunday I went crabbing in Southwest Louisiana. I got up at the break of dawn, purchased a one day fishing license (which was a whopping $15 bucks), got a six pack of beer, and headed out to the great Louisiana Dawn. Being a good sport, I volunteered my car as our transport. Pulling into the parking lot next to the pier, my cohorts and I fail to acknowledge the eight foot alligator sitting in the grass right next to the passenger side of the car. A woman who was fishing ran up to tell us to watch for the gator. Like a coward, I jumped immediately ten feet away, failing to muster up the gusto to go any closer. However, the gator was more interested in attempting to suntan his belly. I learned how to crab fish. First, get a hunk of chicken neck, tie a string around it, then add weights to the string, which you are supposed to bite to close, and sink your bait into the water. Then, you are supposed to check on your strings, I had three, and when it feels as though one is being pulled that means a crab is on it. You are supposed to slowly pull the string out of the water for the crab doesn't fall off, while lowering your net with your right hand into the water. Overall, I am a terrible crabber. I caught a few, but apparently I have a lot to learn. I was so bad that an eight-year-old boy offered to help. Between "Mini Macqyver" and myself, we caught around two dozen. However, I did catch one beauty---a big crab that was a ripe, rich blue. All the men on the dock applauded my good work.

While I took a hand at crabbing, my two companions were fishing for redfish. While one seemed to catch a fish everytime he cast, the other, well, was learning. I did get one surprise. While engrossed in my seatime work, the successful fisherman decided to place his freshly caught redfish's mouth on my exposed lower back. I nearly jumped into the water with the gators. I decided a kiss from a redfish must be some form of a Cajun blessing. Overall, our fishing trip was a success, with one ice chest full, an encounter with the game warden (who was a VERY good looking game warden) that ended with no tickets, and two gator sitings. I had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment