Adventure Awaits!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Bayou Blues

Since my last blog I have started my job with a non profit here in Baton Rouge, have fallen for Abita beer, and seen three gators over six feet long. I have also been attacked by red ants (no worries, I am fine) and have eaten my weight in Cajun food. I was told by a Mississippian from Greenville that no one in the Deep South messes with Kentuckians. The reason why because there is an air of mystery around a Kentuckian---an air of mystery that he or she may be carrying a knife. Since my last post, I have spent three days at Lake Fosse Point State Park. It is a park in the Henderson Bayou that has monster gators and no cell phone reception. I tried to capture one of these gators on my phone, but my lack of skill only depicted a dot rather than a six foot long gator. I spent my days team building and doing service projects, but I spent my nights drinking Budweiser and learning the Cuban Shuffle. Also, met a young woman I will be working with in Baton Rouge that is a Cajun fiddle player whom I confessed my secret desire to learn Cajun fiddle.

On Saturday I will be going to Cajun Clarence's jam in Baton Rouge that begins at nine and ends, well I reckon when the playing stops. Later that day, I will be driving out to the Wild World of Lafayette (which either pronouncation is considered acceptable), that is deep Cajun country, to listen to two Cajun bands at the Blue Moon Saloon, which may  be my favorite place in Louisiana. The two bands are the Pine Leaf Boys (my favorite) and Feufollet (who I have not seen yet.) I plan on drinking some beer and doing the Cajun two-step til the sun rises. I cannot wait to hear a bunch of young people singing exclusively in Cajun French.

No comments:

Post a Comment