Adventure Awaits!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mardis Gras Madness

Hiya Ya'll,

Forgive me about being late to tell yall about my Mardis Gras Madness. This girl has been super busy! Loads of music and two separate Cajun Mardis Gras, thanks to the HBO show Treme, I have barely had time to recover. This is a list of my favorite moments from Mardis Gras.

1. Thursday night at the Blue Moon Saloon with my favorite boys the Red Stick Ramblers for a kick off to the craziness! Check em out here: http://www.redstickramblers.com/ If you haven't heard of these boys yet, you should go ahead and slap your own self across the face for your unforgivable silliness and neglect. If you like Western Swing, a little Honky Tonk, traditional Cajun songs, and a little heartbreak, this is the band for you! I tell you want if you use some of the great one liners these boys write on your little lady, I promise that she will fall head over hills for you all over again (and same for you ladies.)

2. Saturday night I went to Lakeview for a Bal de Magasin (traditional barn dance) out in the wild, wonderful, ever-suprising Eunice.

3. Sunday I finished my Mardi Gras costume, capuchon and all!

4. Monday, Mardi Gras Eve, I went to Lakeview for a Boucherrie (pig killing and cooking) and ate myself silly. I had boudain, cracklin, sausage, and anything else you can imagine! All of it home-made and home-grown! I finished that all off with a Bud-heavy and some king cake. That all started during the day and afterwards I recovered by playing music, smacking mosquitoes, catchin' up with friends from all over, and taking a nap. Once night hit, Horace Trahan came out and we all dance until we nearly fell down with exhaustion. However, I got too excited about the next day and practiced singing the La Danse de Mardi Gras.

5. Tuesday morning, I went, bright and early with my pals, to the Faquetigue Run in Eunice. It was one of the most amazingly unique experiences of my life. However, it is supposed to be secret to those that do not know it. I will say we all exhibit a little bit of the devil in us while out begging for our gumbo ingredients. Here's some photos my friends took:
By Kristin Clements

By Jake Stevens

By Ben Severance

By Jake Stevens

By Jake Stevens
Well yall, I hope that shows ya how it is for Mardis Gras in Southwest LA! No one needs all that NOLA craziness for a wild, good time. We were all lucky enough to do it again the following Saturday for Treme. So keep your eyes peeled for your favorite Blue Kentucky gal (I'm the one in all the red!)
Till later folks!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, darlin', you weren't the Lone Kentuckian at the Faquetigue or Treme Mardi Gras'! I was there too, the guy dressed like a loupgarou. I'll look for you again next year, lol.

    ReplyDelete